Tuesday 31 January 2012

Boycott Elsevier

Some academics have put together a boycott against Elsevier Journals. They are against 3 things:

  1. The high cost of the journals
  2. The expensive 'bundles' that they force libraries to buy, even if they dont want them all
  3. The fact they support SOPA, PIPA and the Research Works Act (RWA)
Now I'm always for anything that encourages the free-flow of information, and this is no exception. Not only am I against SOPA and PIPA, but the RWA tries to restrict free, open access to state funded journals - journals that the public has paid for anyway. 

Plus, I wholeheartedly believe that knowledge is power, but currently powerful only to the few who lock it away. Knowledge and ideas are what allows us as a civilisation to grow and develop, and restricting it to only those who are able or willing to pay for it is at a detriment to our progress.

I dont expect to have anything to do with Elsevier in my next 3 years, regardless of this list, but I'm adding my name to it to help the momentum and to (hopefully) show other journals that this issue is not taken lightly.

Read a little more about it here, and sign the thing here. Already over 2000 signatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment